Mesothelioma Victim Gets £100,000 Compensation

More than £100,000 compensation has been awarded to a man dying of the asbestos-related cancer, mesothelioma.
Ken McDonald, now 67, of Barrow, was awarded £102,500 compensation after contacting the Barrow Asbestos Related Disease Support group, who worked with his former union, the GMB and their solicitors.Tom Brennan, regional secretary of the GMB Northern, said: “I am pleased we have been able to win compensation for Mr McDonald during what is a difficult time for him and his family.”Mr McDonald was exposed to deadly fibres while working at Vickers shipyard in Barrow in the 1960s.The former electrician’s mate was diagnosed with mesothelioma last October.Working on the UK’s first nuclear submarine, the HMS Dreadnought, from 1961 to 1963, he used to carry bags of asbestos for the electricians to use when lagging pipes. He would become covered in asbestos dust but had no idea it could harm him.He said: “I am relieved to have received this compensation but I would rather have my health back. At least now I know that my wife and family will be provided for.”

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: